Here’s our advice regarding the most common challenges you may face at your current job:
I Need A Raise
We all do! BUT….an emotional appeal almost never works [99% of the time ☹️]. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try. You might get lucky!
Proven things that work are data driven:
- You have done your homework both inside and outside the company and you have found data showing you are at least 20% under the market going rate.
- When you were hired, for whatever reason, you were brought in at the minimum despite more than 10 years of relevant experience. You have had great increases but they are all off a low base so you have a great case.
- One of the easiest ways to get more money is to get more responsibility. I know this sounds like a “DUH.” However the subtlety here is not going after the promotion but asking for more responsibility. Once you have more responsibility then more dollars follow.
My Boss Is A Jerk
One of the more popular complaints in industry. Unfortunately there is no magic bullet.
There are tons of really great articles and advice if you Google it.
The fundamental questions to ask yourself are:
- Am I better off at another company? The fight isn’t worth it.
- Have I shared my feelings with my boss?
- If yes and nothing happened did I go to her boss?
- Does everyone think my boss is a jerk? In well managed companies being a jerk will get you fired BUT never as quickly as you would like.
- If HR is strong, have you gone to them? Especially if there has been a history of turnover with this manager.
Toxic Or Challenging Work Environment
Again, no magic bullet. Some fundamental questions:
- Will it change?
- Is there new leadership that knows this needs to be fixed? And will fix it!
- If the answer to these questions is no then to protect your mental and physical health you need to develop your exit strategy.
- Again, there are a tons of really great articles on Google. Sadly, this issue is more common that you might think.